29 oktober, 2011

Ten confusing facts about Russians!

I realize I've been a little absent as of lately. One of the explainations behind this "mysterious" absense is that I relocated to Russia (3000kms from my home) nearly two months ago as a volunteer. In honour of this move I've made a little list of what have confused me about Russians so far (mind you some things might be a little generalising - be not offended, I like Russians, this list is just for fun).
  • They're not quite Asians, not quite Europeans - what they hell are they?
  • They tend to ONLY speak Russian (east of Skt. Petersburg & Moscow).
  • When celebrating nothing goes quite - everything must be larger than life!
  • They tend to rely more on "that's how've always done it" than the law.
  • They are extraordinarily hospitable to their guests, to a point where, sometimes, their hospitable is like taken out of a victorian novel.
  • They will sometimes give you presents - just for being a foreigner!
  • They will sometimes threaten or hurt you - just for being a foreigner!
  • Don't think you're always the one worst off, Russians are very tough and rarely complain about pain or physical uncomfortability.
  • One language, 5 different 'S' sounds - WHY!?
  • 95% of buildings look almost the same (at least 15% are orthodox churches) - the remaining 5% tends to be either "polish" (catholic) churches or government buildings.
     And with that I will have to leave you - as Russians doesn't tend to smoke inside their homes (another fun fact for ya'll) I will have to jump to the other side of the door too. But if you're bored 'till the next post check out my new personal blog telling all about my crazy Russian experiences and other trivial things:  

    пока!

    Ingen kommentarer:

    Send en kommentar